Contemporary LEED Platinum Salem Custom Home - Altaview
Nestled amongst the evergreens with sweeping views of the Coast range, Nathan Good and April Waters’ home is a one of kind work of art. Nathan, an award-winning designer of custom homes, created “Altaview,” the three level home that he and his talented wife, artist April Waters, enjoy in Salem’s Fairmount Neighborhood. The couple’s home is a harmonious blend of warm, inviting spaces and clean, contemporary architecture.
In an article with Salem Magazine, Nathan shares, “Our goal was to create a home we could live in forever. We factored in affordability, form, function, and zero energy bills.” Nathan and April partnered with Shan Stassens of Winsome Construction, one of Oregon’s top high performance builders, to achieve this goal. Altaview was certified LEED Platinum by the U.S. Green Building Council in 2018.
- 3,619 total living plus garage square footage
- Long, narrow home design by Nathan Good Architects to fit the lot and offer views and daylight
- Open floor plan with abundant light, uncluttered spaces and a wealth of covered outdoor areas
- Wide doorways, zero entrance showers and flexible spaces that can adapt to the occupants over the years
- Ample use of natural materials, including many types of local woods: white oak, maple, Douglas fir and redwood. The front entry showcases salvaged redwood by Barnwood Naturals and the FSC certified Oak hardwood flooring was supplied by Zena Hardwoods.
- Spacious art studio with northern light for April’s work
- Views from each room, including the Coast range, Willamette River, and Minto Brown and Fairmount parks
- ICF construction in the basement for energy efficiency and comfort
- Advanced stick framing wall construction
- Enhanced structural engineering and construction
- Low-profile sealed wood stove for energy efficient heat
- Zehnder Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) System
- Ductless “mini-split” heating and cooling system
- Six different forms of building insulation
- Triple-pane Loewen and Unilux energy efficient windows
- 10 kWh solar-electric system
- Designed and constructed to be LEED Platinum and Net Zero Energy