Sunriver Timber Frame Custom Home
Custom Home built to design for The Schlauch Family in Sunriver, Oregon.
What is Timber Framing?
Timber framing is a traditional method of building construction, utilizing heavy timbers to frame the structure rather than slender dimensional lumber (such as 2x4s or 2x8s). The walls of the structure are almost always positioned on the outside of the timber frame, leaving the timbers exposed for a beautiful visual effect. These heavy timbers are carefully fitted and joined together with mortises and tenons, then secured with wooden pegs.
Because heavy timbers give so much strength to the frame structure, timber-framed homes don’t require load-bearing walls through the middle of the home. This creates remarkable design opportunities. Furthermore, timber frames provide the kind of structural integrity that will last for hundreds of years. This type of home is perfect in Central Oregon.
A dream home to share all that makes Central Oregon amazing!
What to note about this home:
- Awarded “Best Architectural Design” by Central Oregon Builders Association in 2022
- The warm feeling of gorgeous open beams throughout.
- The concrete floor on the bottom level in contrast to the warm wood ceiling.
- Wall of windows that flirts with the light coming in.
- Copper light fixtures and how they complement the wood.
- Clean simple lines, like all good design.
- White and black touches add a modern element to the old world, high-quality construction of timber frame envelope.
High-Performance Technologies for Energy Efficiency
Even “cooler”, this is a very energy-efficient home. High-performance technologies included in this home are ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms), Radiant Heat, and Nest Thermostat, and SIP panels to name a few.
“We had an initial call with Shan as we were exploring our options, and there was a pretty instant comfort level. It was clear that he was experienced, knew what he was talking about and straightforward…But honesty, transparency and accountability are important to us. Looking back, one thing that stood out with Winsome from the beginning is that they have certain principles about how they work, the type of home they build and what they expect from their sub-contractors. Knowing they hold themselves to such high standards gave us confidence.”
―Eric Schlauch, Homeowner