Sunriver Timber Frame Custom Home
Custom Home built to design for The Schlauch Family in Sunriver, Oregon.
More about their building journey to come, stay tuned! We are grateful to have worked with Eric and Natalia to build their dream timber frame custom home in Sunriver, Oregon.
What is Timber Framing?
Timber framing is a traditional method of building construction, utilizing heavy timbers to frame the structure rather than slender dimensional lumber (such as 2x4s or 2x8s). The walls of the structure are almost always positioned on the outside of the timber frame, leaving the timbers exposed for a beautiful visual effect. These heavy timbers are carefully fitted and joined together with mortises and tenons, then secured with wooden pegs.
Because heavy timbers give so much strength to the frame structure, timber framed homes don’t require load-bearing walls through the middle of the home. This creates remarkable design opportunities. Furthermore, timber frames provide the kind of structural integrity that will last for hundreds of years.
A dream home to share all that makes Central Oregon amazing!
What to note about this home:
- The warm feeling of gorgeous open beams throughout.
- The concrete floor on the bottom level in contrast to the warm wood ceiling.
- Wall of windows that flirts with the light coming in.
- Copper light fixtures and how they complement the wood.
- Clean simple lines, like all good design.
- White and black touches add a modern element to the old world, high-quality construction of timber frame envelope.
Some high-performance technologies included in this home are ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms), Radient Heat, and Nest Thermostat to name a few.