Benefits of ICF Construction
A highly experienced ICF construction builder, Winsome Construction has completed over 20 ICF projects to date and is one of Oregon’s most skilled ICF construction companies. Located in beautiful McMinnville, Oregon, we build from Portland to Salem, throughout the Willamette Valley and the North Oregon Coast. Contact us to discover why ICF construction is one of the fastest growing alternatives to traditional stick built homes. We would love the opportunity to be your custom home builder!
- We employ an experienced, professional ICF installation crew
- Experience integrating radiant heating into ICF homes
- Experience properly ventilating ICF homes
- Specialty design assistance with ICF construction in mind
There are many benefits of ICF construction including:
- Energy Efficiency: ICF construction provides an inherently high level of thermal resistance with high performance R-values, no air infiltration, and lower cost to heat and cool. Winsome clients who track their energy use report that the cost to heat and cool is half that of a standard stick frame home.
- Health: No cavity walls for mold, mildew, bugs, or rodents. Non-toxic materials and no off-gassing of materials. No air infiltration allowing dust or allergens to enter the home.
- Comfort: Noise control, enhances steady temperatures, peace of mind during inclement weather events, low maintenance structure, may attribute to lower insurance costs.
- Safety: Increased impact resistance, compressive strength, bending strength (bending loads from wind, seismic, flood water, and earth pressure), and racking strength (lateral/side pressure) loads created by wind and earthquakes. The racking strength of these walls prevent the building from collapsing or being pushed over by wind or earthquake forces. In general, ICF wall construction provides 5 to 10 times the racking resistance of conventional wood-frame walls.
- Fire resistance: Concrete walls have superior fire resistance in comparison to most other building materials. Solid concrete ICF walls can generally sustain as much as four hours of extreme fire exposure (as reported at www.rwsinc.com), whereas typical wood-frame walls in houses generally do not exceed a one-hour fire rating.
- Durability: Concrete used in ICF walls is further protected from moisture and other environmental factors. While wood is similarly protected within the walls of a home, it is susceptible to rot in areas where water often penetrates the exterior weather-resistant barrier of a home, or in hot/humid climates.
Building with ICF can cost 4-9% more than a traditional “stick” built home. One must weigh cost/benefits according to your priorities and budget. We would be happy to break down the costs comparing ICF and advanced framing for your specific build job to help you decide which is best for you.
“We love our Insulated Concrete Form home. It is so comfortable during hot summer days even without air conditioning. It really holds the cool evening air and is great all day long. Similarly in the winter, the hydronically heated floors are very comfortable. Shan is an experienced and skilled contractor who really cares about his work and knows what he is doing.”